FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Incident at BME
Thread: Incident at BME
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2007, 8:46 pm
lorkers

Originally Posted by lorkers

More, I'm sure, anon.
That was a shocker.

I got back from clubbing at 11.30pm to find that there was no reason for me to hurry - the flight was indeed showing as cancelled, but because every other flight out of BME is chocker for days, there looked like the possibility of an enforced holiday. Which was tempting... if only there was somewhere to sleep. All hotel rooms are booked solid too.

Thankfully the manager at BME got SYD to send out another 737-800 with a fresh crew - and we were told it would leave at 2am.

So I bedded down in the QP - or rather tried to. Blankets were handed out in the Club while I was in the Klub (does this sound like a song from Cabaret?) and I missed them... and in the QP pax had resorted to ripping the cushions from the chairs to make matresses. I had neither, so bedded down under the computer desks, using copies of the WA as a mattress. I found that copies of the QF inflight mag, covered in the t-shirt make a good pillow. Finally, a copy of the SMH make good sheets on top.

Remember I was one of the most comfortable ones!

At 2am we got a "flight put back to 3am due to fog" call... finally boarded at 3.10am, and took off at 3.18am.

Amazingly, the crew onboard insisted on operating a full meal service on board, even though we all wanted to sleep - and thanks to pretty violent turbulence in the first hour, it was 2 hours in before it was served. Food was supper! Remember this was 5am local, 7am Sydney time! But it was what was loaded on the original flight, so they served it.

So, we finally got into SYD just before 10am. An amazing 16 hours late.

Grrrr... just in time for me to jump onto a Deathstar flight... I'm not sure what is worse!