FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA terrorizes the homeless!
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2007, 10:33 am
Points Scrounger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
With respect to liquids, I often see the TSA toss it into a huge trash can setup near the checkpoints.

If these liquids are so dangerous that they cannot be brought onto an airplane, why are we tossing them into trashcans? Remember, we're still at an ORANGE alert level for aviation.

Assuming for a second the threat was real and imminent, doesn't common sense dictate that it is unsafe to dispose of potentially dangerous liquids in this manner?

For stuff that is tossed away into garbage cans (not hazmat bins), I'm sure the airport just puts into a dumpster for waste disposal. As for items that are disposed of in another manner (i.e. put into boxes at the checkpoint), with our current state of "orange" security and supposedly a high risk of a liquid bomb, isn't it negligent for the airport to be distributing such items to homeless shelters?

Looking at reality - I think it is safe to say these items are generally safe. Disposal to a homeless shelter makes good use of such items as long as these draconian BS security (er, make Ma & Pa feel good) measures are in place. However, as these items are safe enough that we could feed confiscated pies to US servicemen and distribute other items to the needy, could someone please tell me why they're being confiscated in the first place?

There is either such a high risk for liquid explosives that we're at orange and the draconian rules are in place for the safety of flyers --- OR --- there is no (or very limited) risk (other than what the government & some media outlets would like us to believe) that we should not be on orange alert, nor should we be confiscating such items.

Which one is it? Can't have it both ways. High Risk/Orange Status or an Extremely Minimal Risk?
I find this frustrating also. The TSA seems to have it both ways: potentially hazardous until confiscated, and then magically "innocuous"!