FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules on Transporting Wine out of EZE to the USA
Old May 13, 2007, 5:22 am
Gaucho100K
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by enmascarado
So I travel to Argentina fairly often (once a year, my family is there) and I always brought a few bottles of wine back to the US, but only on my carry-on.

I was under the impression that wine might not travel so well in the regular luggage compartment, due to the pressure/temperature changes, and that it might be "spoiled" by that. Is this a complete fantasy? Will wine travel OK in my checked luggage?
Wine will be fine if you check it in. The cargo area in passenger aircraft is pressurized and temperatures are also controlled. While it may get a little colder than the main cabin, your wine will not freeze.

Having said that, remember that wine in your suitcase may mean stained clothes... if you must do this I suggest you wrap each bottle with protective material such as bubble wrap, etc. The best solution is to use styrofoam shippers and check these as regular baggage.