FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Critique My Beijing Itinerary
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2007, 6:48 pm
AlexS

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going by myself, and speak zero Mandarin. My plane gets in at 9PM, but I'm just coming from Japan, where I currently live, so I'm not so worried about being jet laggy

I was in Hong Kong in February, but this is definiely going to be my last trip to Beijing for a while, and probably also my last trip to China for at least the next three years (starting law school in the fall).

Still haven't decided where I'm going to stay. I'm leaning towards the St. Regis, but could also wind up at the Sheraton, and the rates at the Park Place Wangfujing are very tempting...

I'm not so interested in fake watches/handbags, but I find the whole market atmosphere a lot of fun, and like seeing just how good the copies are. Are there any other markets you'd check out in addition to the Silk Market?

rploehn thanks for the feedback on the hike--I'm very excited! These are probably beyond ridiculous questions, but do you know if there are any facilities (ie. bathrooms, snack shops, etc.) along this stretch of the wall? Also, since it's a wall, I'm assuming you're fairly limited in the directions you can go, but is the route fairly clear/well marked?

That's a bummer that a lot of the sites are closed, but it sounds like there's still plenty to see in the Forbidden City. I think I'll just see what happens on Sunday, and if I feel like I've finished seeing the Forbidden City early, head over to the Summer Palace. If not, no big deal.

One more question about SIM cards...Any recommended brands and places to buy? Since I don't speak any Mandarin I'm sure I'll get ripped off, but I'm not so concerned about getting a "lucky" phone number. I think moondog at one point recommended China Mobile. Are they still the ones to use? Also, do you need to show your passport to get one, and can someone give me an idea of what dollar value one I should buy for just a weekend?

Thanks again,

Alex