FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Great Journey Part 4: Melbourne, Adelaide, Barossa Valley and Sydney
Old May 11, 2007, 5:00 am
TEX277

Originally Posted by krug
Adelaide and the Barossa Valley

That afternoon, I had my photo taken next to the Big Rocking Horse (http://www.thetoyfactory.com.au/), 60 feet high and backing up Bill Bryson’s assertion that the place is littered with such kitsch monstrosities.

The highlight of the weekend for me was yet to come, with a trip to the Cleland Wildlife Sanctuary. I was able to hand feed baby and full grown kangaroos from one hand, while feeding emus from another. Best of all was seeing my first Koala Bear, and having my photo taken holding it in my arms. Although quite heavy, the bears are very soft, have deep doleful eyes and have a delightful eucalyptus scent. The photo says it all; I am beaming from ear to ear! It really was a terrific experience!
Krug, many thanks for sharing this as it truly does brings back some fantastic memories for me ^ . I visited Adelaide the first couple of times in 82/83 and 86/87 (as a 8 and 12 year old) and recall climbing to the top of the Big Rocking Horse and sharing the same experience as you at Cleland. Unfortunately though, I was a little too young to fully appreciate experiencing the Barossa Valley and enjoying various samples.