FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - POS Etiquette?
Thread: POS Etiquette?
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2007, 1:23 pm
SJC1K

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
The large person should be the one making the accomodation. But all the solutions seem draconian: gastric bypass, buying two seats or first class (very expensive), or don't travel by air (I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't).
There's also self-discipline--taking in fewer calories and/or expending more calories on a routine basis.

I'm heavier than I'd like to be, though not nearly to the point of encroaching on space I haven't paid for, but at least I acknowledge that my excess weight is my own responsibility. Food rarely jumps off the plate into my mouth, and people seldom shackle me to prevent my exercising.

Yes, there are people who are big in a way over which they have no control. I knew a guy in college who seemed to be about 120% of normal scale in every linear dimension (well, the ones I could see, anyway), and I would be pretty uncomfortable next to him in an economy seat. But 99% of the customers of size I see in airports are people with normal-sized frames. Can't they take responsibility for the consequences of their own actions?