FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Plattsburgh airport may squeeze Montreal area hubs
Old May 7, 2007, 8:46 am
billybob123

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by YOWkid
The access roads to PBG aren't as good as BLI. Look at the map. Very few people on the east side of Lake Champlain would drive around the big lake and then cross at a very limited points just to get to PBG. So there are probably ferries, but I bet you they cost money.
To second what Ken HAAmer has said, the ferry from the downtown Burlington dock is to Port Kent NY, about 15 minutes drive south of Plattsburgh; it's $30 round trip including car. If one is cheap, they can drive to Grand Isle, about 30 minutes north of BTV, for $16 round trip, and it drops you 5 minutes from downtown Plattsburgh. The road connections are ridiculously easy; the current Plattsburgh airport is 5-10 minutes drive from I-87 (as ChrisNLI stated - welcome to Flyertalk, BTW); the new one is similarly located. BTV has no Southwest (JetBlue is the LCC there), so if WN can offer lower fares at an airport with free parking that's less than an hour away....

There are many small airports in the NY and some probably receive some sort of federal or local subsidy for air service. So they will have cheaper airfares and thus people wouldn't drive to PBG just to save a few dollars.
These small airports have trouble selling fares because everyone drives to the reliever airports (SYR, BTV, ALB etc) since the fares are signficantly higher than at the EAS airport. The sad thing is the EAS airports are often cheaper than the Canadian airports...

Oh, and people from Cornwall would probably drive to (...) Norfolk (...) which seems to be more than an hour away on highways and not freeways.
Norfolk (VA) is over 600 miles away? I'm a bit confused as to why this is one you brought up?

Last edited by billybob123; May 7, 2007 at 10:55 am Reason: Wrong highway #