FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Plattsburgh airport may squeeze Montreal area hubs
Old May 6, 2007, 9:38 pm
Ken hAAmer

A) Fly YUL-SEA. Let's say total flying time is 8 hours including connections and being there on time. 600$ CAD airfare (using it as a figure to illustrate example). Salary time at say $70/hr (cash+benefits+vacation pay)=$578. Total 1238$.

B) Fly PBG-SEA. Let's say total driving time is 1.5 hr and flight time including connections and being there on time is 8 hours. Airfare is 400$. Rental car for trip (let's say four days)=$175 after all fees. Parking is free. Salary costs=$735 for straight and OT. Total 1310$.

So, are savings really that great for the business person? Now I know you're going to argue that some people don't get paid for OT or get time in lieu of pay. Fine. But my point still stands. It's not that black and white.

(Oh, and not to mention your comfort may be at risk because of the extra time it takes.)
Notwithstanding that you're numbers are all made up, it's still a bogus argument. Why for example does someone need to rent a car for 4 days in example B, but not A? (Not to mention that I wouldn't even pay $175 for 4 days even in Europe -- last week I rented a "standard" vehicle for €178 per week, or about CAD $38 a day. In North America I'd pay even less.)

Are you suggesting that someone would have to rent a car to get to the US? Why not then to YUL? Or what would a taxi cost? I've paid over $50 for a cab ride to YUL on more than one occaision, and many years ago.

But let's use a real live example -- my example. And we'll go even further, to SEA instead of just to BLI. Econo ticket on AC for YVR-EWR was about CAD$971, flying time was 7:40 YYZ-EWR would be on a sardine plane, and even if I was lucky enough to snag a gate upgrade, it would most likely be on a domestic 767, with the notorious econo-J seating.

Alternatively, the alternative I took, was SEA-EWR for about CAD$597, flying time 7:38 (essentially identical), and I'd be in paid F the entire way. Unrestricted F, so the invariable changes in the return flight would not incur charges of up to $200 for each change, there'd be no worries about having to up-fare, no upgrade certificates, no worries about your upgrade falling through or a duct-taped 767, and as a bonus 50% COS status miles and point. (And yes I realize that no one actually really cares about points. That probably why Aeroplan only has 6 or 7 million members, and no one carries an Air Miles card.)

With a single night stay (U$79) at my chosen hotel in Renton I get free parking which would have cost ~$C100 at YVR, so that's at least a wash, if not a slight benefit. ('Course then there's the status qualifying hotel stay, which often as not corresponds to one of Hiltons 5/10/15/20K or other bonus programs.)

So for me, the 3hr + 3hr drive to an from Seattle results in a more comfortable and more pleasant ride, more benefits such as points and status, fewer worries and headaches, and a cash savings of almost $800.

And of late, upgradable at time of booking M fares out of SEA that are half the cost of B fares from YVR to SYD are making me think about driving (or even flying) to SEA just to turn around and fly back to YVR before continuing on to SYD.