FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Plattsburgh airport may squeeze Montreal area hubs
Old May 5, 2007, 4:58 pm
StuMcIlwain

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Being from YOW, I have contemplated going from one of the NY state airports, to a US destination (for the reasons of economics, esp when my family was accompanying me) - but I have never done so. The advantage of price is maximal if one flies from Syracuse, NY or Burlington VT. One has less of a price savings with flights originating from Watertown, NY or Ogdensburg NY or Massena NY. I wonder if the prices of most flights from Plattsburgh would be equivatent to those leaving from Syracuse. The problem with Syracuse is that it is 5 hrs away? I would guess that Plattsburgh is 2.5 to 3 hrs away?
5 hours to drive from YOW to SYR??? It takes 3 hours on most days, including the border crossing. But parking at SYR is expensive, although there are several hotels that let you park for free if you spend a night with them, should you wish to explore that option. Some international fares are a lot cheaper out of SYR than YOW, but I've yet to see enough of a difference for US domestic fares to make the drive worthwhile.