FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sober Travelers Forum suggestion [was "FT Friends of Bill W."]
Old May 1, 2007, 9:21 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtkauai
may I say that AA is hugely popular and virtually as ubiquitous in the UK as it is in the US.
Yes- and I know this organisation under the AA title.

I'm also very aware of how widespread the Salvation Army is and the work they do, but I wouldn't expect others to know that the founder's name was William B (ooth).

For over ten years my life revolved around music 'bands' and venues where musicians perform (venues invariably associated inextricably with alcohol). I've known a lot of people who realised that drinking was a problem for them and who subsequently gave it up. Completely.
The Straight Edge movement ended up becoming an enormously successful motivational tool for those whose lifestyles were inspired by punk and certain kinds of Rock. So I'll admit that my own experience supporting people who've chosen sobriety is through this movement rather than the AA. Wherever possible, I did what I could to tangibly assist them (I negotiated with Pub Landlords to ensure that acceptable alternatives were always available and that these were chilled and, whenever I could, I organised events where no alcohol was available so that all ages could be welcomed).

It seems obvious that there are many, many ways of dealing with this issue - and I now realise that what I've said will be, to some, just as unacceptable and insensitive as someone urging me to eat a risotto laced with chicken broth because the bones and flesh pieces have been removed from the plate (and yes, I've had to deal with an awful lot of this kind of ignorance, and no, I didn't appreciate it either. I understand that I may have come across as completely hypocritical.)

You may also like to know that my husband is significantly allergic to alcohol - none of it gets left in his food (at least not when I cook it), he is a living barometer - only the tiniest amount will turn him as red as a beetroot and his eczema gets pretty aggressive with the higher levels of histamine.

I mentioned 'Straight Edge' to make sure that you all realise that Bill W's organisation isn't the only temperance movement and a new forum would have to encompass everyone who abstains from alcohol and embrace and include their own ideologies and methods for dealing with their problems.

Not everyone who has successfully battled with alcohol and given it up views drink in the same manner as someone who is extremely allergic to nuts is forced to regard a peanut. I have no idea how you would reconcile the different paths people take to sobriety in a new forum.

I do wish everyone who is on this road the very best and sincerely hope for their continued success.