FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport MCI [Master Thread]
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:02 pm
Matt-KC

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Arrow Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport MCI [Master Thread]

Thought I'd throw a review out there for this property since I haven't really seen any. Unfortunatley, KC has a limited selection of starwood properties (Westin Crown Center, Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza & Sheraton Overland Park @ Convention Center) and this addition really does not add much value or presence to the group.

Property History: Started as a Holiday Inn (1974) and was converted to a Clarion in 2003. During subsequent renovation, property was shut down by KC Health department in spring 2006 after they were alerted to the property removing infrastructure that contained asbestos:
The City of Kansas City, Mo., Health Department, acting on an anonymous telephone call received by the department’s Air Quality Program on March 9, responded to the Clarion Hotel KCI (11832 N.W. Plaza Drive) and discovered workers were removing ceiling texture containing asbestos as part of a renovation project.

The renovation project had been under way for approximately 60 days, according to information obtained by air quality inspectors. The project involved the removal of asbestos containing ceiling texture from all five floors including hallways, common areas and guest rooms. Hotel representatives of the project had not notified the Health Department and failed to obtain the appropriate permit for the renovation project.

Guests, hotel employees and construction trade workers occupied the hotel during the renovation project. Yet, there were no engineering controls or barriers in place to protect the guests, occupants or workers from exposure to asbestos.

The project was immediately shut down and the areas were ordered closed off by health inspectors after these discoveries were made. All bulk samples taken by inspectors tested positive for asbestos.

Following air-sampling tests conducted by an independent contractor, the Clarion voluntarily shut down and all occupants were relocated.
Property then reopened in Sep 2006 as the Four Points after a $3.5 million renovation.

General property: Conveniently located near KCI Airport (MCI) with easy access to I29 & I435. Property has an "L" configuration and is surrounded by other hotels with the KCI Expo Center across the street. Plenty of close parking (free) is available and they have the usual airport shuttle. Building is a 5 story, full window building. Outdoor pool is inside the "L" configuration and there are a few meeting rooms as well as restaurant onsite. Overall property is in decent condition with a nice open lobby, although the restaurant area and hallways are somewhat worn.

Rooms: I have had four different rooms, all located on the 5th floor. All the rooms have been clean and have the Four Points bedding upgrade. Furniture in the rooms has been somewhat worn, and each room has had a mis-match of furniture in it...perhaps due to the change in brands recently. Some rooms have bright woods with the TV in a cabinet, and others have dark woods with the TV on top of a dresser or some mix of the two. Lamps have been mis-matched as well. Two of the desks had broken legs, but were still sturdy and one of the TV cabinets had a part broke off that was laying on top of it. (all rooms were king, non-smoking). Each room included a fridge that has always been clean and in good condition. Bathrooms are somewhat cramped with two having drain issues (have overheard other guests complaining about this during check in and check out so it seems to be a property wide issue). Curved shower rod gives the extra room and hot water has always been plentiful. A/C units are the old in window variety, and again, can vary by room. Some are controlled via thermostats on the wall (which despite the settings, you can not turn off of high) and some are controlled at the unit (where you can control fan speed). Either way, both varieties are loud and unfortunatley if you want to keep the room cool, can not be turned off as the rooms heat back up very quickly....a problem of the full windows I presume. Since I need the cool air to sleep, I have to deal with the loudness. Soundproofing from the other rooms and airport noise is marginal...with the a/c on, I never notice it.

Employees: Nearly every employee I have encountered has been friendly and happy to help with the exception of one desk clerk. Housekeeping requests have been attended to quickly and with a smile. There does seem to be high turnover, indicated by the "new" employees encountered each time and the big "now hiring" banner they have out front .

Overall it is not a horrible property, but not the best either. If you just need a place to sleep for a decent rate, it will suffice. If you have the expectation of high quality or a Westin or W experience, you will be disappointed (as you should considering 4Points makes no attempt to hide or disguise what they provide). Parking & internet (wireless only) are free as is bottled water. I would not pay rack rates for this during the week (usually $120 or so) but you can often get this property for $40 on PL. Weekend rates tend to be better at $60-$80, but again, they are underbidding the other 3*'s in this zone for $40 usually.