FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving in Costa Rica?
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:31 am
Jaimito Cartero
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
4WD, safety in rental cars

Originally Posted by opushomes
Four wheel drive is imperative if you get off the Pan Americo.
I'd have to disagree with you here. I have a late model Toyota Corolla, which needless to say doesn't have 4WD. I've gone down many rural roads, beaches and other unpaved and adverse conditions. As long as you use common sense, you should have no problem.

The major highways are in decent shape, although I recommend going over the high mountains earlier in the day. Lots of fog in the afternoon, with visibility being 5 or 10 feet sometimes. Add in a heavy rain, and bus drivers driving 70 mph, it can be pretty nerve racking.

There have been some flat tire scams on, often in the vicinity of the airport. I always recommend having the car rental company to deliver your car to your hotel during daylight hours. Don't be too touristy, and never leave anything valuable in the car, or alone anywhere.

In my almost 20 years in Costa Rica, I've never had anything stolen out of my car while at the beach, San Jose or any other town. I do follow my own rules, and don't flash lots of money, jewelry or leaving valuables about.

I do the same thing in every foreign country I visit, when I go out, I only take as much money as I need, and am willing to give it up if robbed. I feel safer in Costa Rica than many other latin countries. I was in Belize City recently, and I know I felt a lot more danger in their capital city than San Jose.