FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:09 am
hhoope01
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by psychtobe
not to belabor the point... but the e-cert says 'non-transferable' - what does that mean exactly? Does that mean I'm the only one who can redeem it (from my account)? Or that I have to actually stay in the room? Can I make a reservation for my sister, for example?
Strictly speaking, only you can use the cert. But with that said, I have used one of my wife's certs before and she has used one of mine. What I did in those situations is made the reservations in the name of the person on the cert. So even though the cert has my name and the reservation had my name, my wife had no problems checking in and using the cert.

Haven't really tried it with someone that doesn't have the same last name as I do though. And again, I would guess that technically the hotel could have decided that my wife should not be able to use the cert that had my name on it and made her pay whatever the prevailing rate was.

Now with the certs becoming e-certs, I'm not sure how that will effect their use. But I suspect that if the hotel will let my wife check-in as if it were me checking in, then her stay, without me there, could have the e-cert pulled from my account. But that is a guess.