FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Liquid and ONE Bag rule from a LHR Goon
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:30 pm
1995hoo

Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
Originally Posted by LHRGoon

Rules:

ONE bag rule

You are only allowed ONE bag. We don't have the "personal item" which American passangers seem to hark on about. This therefore includes; suit bags, plastic bags, hand bags, laptop bags.

If we think that any additional items you are holding will not fit inside the bag we will as you to put them inside your ONE bag. This includes; books, laptops, pillows.

Once they are inside we verify the size of your bag inside that steel frame called "The gauge". The bag goes in horizontally using the side handle. If you've got a bag where the designers stupidly didn't read the brief and added wheels and handles on, your bag is too large.

Liquids rule

You are allowed as many liquids as you can fit inside an 8' x 8' transparent bag. If you're carrying your own transparent bag with lots of liquids we'll ask you to transfer them into one of our bags. Any liquids in a CONTAINER over 100ml will be confiscated or checked in.

Wow. An 8' x 8' bag is quite big. That would allow me to buy enough whisky for the next year! (Sorry, I couldn't resist; I know well what you meant to type. I'm picturing that scene in Spinal Tap when they wrote 18" to get an 18-foot model of Stonehenge.)

Regarding this sentence, though: "If we think that any additional items you are holding will not fit inside the bag we will as you to put them inside your ONE bag." Does this mean that if I am carrying my camera (a DSLR) I can either put it inside the bag, or I can carry it around my neck or over my shoulder and I will likely be OK if it is apparent that I have space in my bag for it? (I have not flown through LHR since the new rules took effect and will be there this weekend, so I want to make sure I deal with my camera properly.) The BAA site makes it sound as though you can't have any loose stuff that's not in the "ONE BAG," but on the other hand it seems apparent that the stuff in your pockets (keys, wallet, etc.) need not go in the "ONE BAG" as long as you put them somewhere for screening.