FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skybus effect on Midwest
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:51 am
BlueHorseShoe2000

Originally Posted by lebowski2222
Looks like Skybus has finally started selling tickets. One of there start up cities is Kansas City. I just looked on there website, and i can fly from MCI-CMH for 40 dollars total. I have heard that you have to pay for everything though, like soda, food and they are even gonna sell watches and perfurmes.
I think Skybus could have an effect on Midwest if they start focus cities in MCI and MKE, and MKE could be very possible
Skybus sounds a lot like Ryanair in Europe. I've flown them many times when I was practically living in Europe and when they say no frills, they really mean no frills. Ryanair has no window shades, no seat pockets, tight seat pitch, charges for checked baggage and beverage service, etc. They also fly to remote airports in major European cities.

I don't think it's any small coincidence that the first new CRJ route for Midwest was MCI-CMB. From their standpoint, it's probably more important to keep a discounter like Skybus at bay than worrying about Express Jet.

Midwest caters primarily to the business and higher-end leisure travelers. I doubt most of those people would subject themselves to the "service" Skybus will be offering.