FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Borscht! YUMMY!!! - I can't believe I was so frightened of cooking with beetroot
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:00 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Borscht! YUMMY!!! - I can't believe I was so frightened of cooking with beetroot

I ended up with tons of beetroot - finally forcing me to confront my beetroot phobia (I was always scared of how much mess there'd be, and that the stains would be indelible).

I've been a fool.

I made borscht for the first time a couple of days ago, and it was the best soup I've ever had.

I wanted to make a vegetarian version (so not Ukranian) and I used this recipe as a guide: http://homecooking.about.com/library...ve/blss107.htm

But with changes:
Stage 1
1 large onion - chopped
1 stem of celery - finely sliced
4 medium beetroots - peeled and julienned (but by hand, so not too thin)
1 medium carrot - peeled and chopped
----
Stage 2
1 clove garlic - minced
2 largish potatoes - diced
EDIT: forgot to add - 1 leek, sliced
1 small/medium cabbage head - finely sliced
about 15 fuid ounces (450ml) vegetable stock (I used a couple of teaspoons of good quality stock powder 'marigold brand' and a spoonful of mild mustard) - just enough to cover the cabbage and potatoes
-------
Stage 3
1 bell pepper - chopped
1.5 Tbsp sugar
juice of half a lemon fresh squeezed
2 Tbsp ponzu sauce (add a little more lemon juice and some soy sauce if you don't have any)
ground black pepper - to taste

Stage 1
Fry the onions on a lowish heat in oil in a large frying pan/wok, then the celery and when they're soft and begin to brown, add carrot and beetroot. Stir occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes (until beets and carrot are tender)

Stage 2
Saute potatoes in large deep pan, add leek & garlic, saute some more (2 or 3 minutes is fine) add cabbage and toss in pan, then add piping hot stock. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add ingredients cooked in Stage 1. Add Stage 3 ingredients. Reduce heat to very low, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

This soup is fine on the day.

However, the next day it is unbelievably good.

The soup should be REALLY thick. Great with a dollop of soured cream (didn't have dill to hand)

Sensational, and everything cleaned up quickly and easily - can't believe it's taken me this long to make some.

Borscht! Is there a more delicious soup?

Last edited by LapLap; May 19, 2007 at 4:16 pm