FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - An $8000 "entry fee" for LH Gold lounge
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:02 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nnn
In this case, on the other hand, the ticket is refundable. It is irrelevant that the passenger has checked in and received a boarding pass. Checking in and receiving a boarding pass is not an irrevocable promise to take the flight. On the contrary, the airline's rules completely allow the passenger to cancel the checkin and receive a refund on the ticket. This holds true even after the passenger has used the lounge! (This may be a bad loophole, but it is the rule nonetheless.)
You again mix up the OP's intentions and the rules. Of course there is not a "irrevocable promise" to take the flight you have checked in for. But it is at least the representation that you have a slight intention to take that flight because that is what you say at checkin: "I want to check in for that flight". You would for sure not get a boarding pass if you tell the CIA: "Hei, I do not want to fly but just want to have dinner", would you?

I always use a "thick thumb check" and this is very reliable:
  • Would you disclose your plan in details to the contractual counterpart's management (not to a salesgirl)?
  • Do you expect the contractual counterpart's management to agree to your plan on full knowledge of the details?
  • Are you definitely sure that you are right from an ethical point?
If you cannot answer these questions with a clear "YES" I would be careful. But again the challenge: Who has got the balls to ask LH??? Nobody, because you certainly know their answer and this answer would not please you.