FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Savannah Riverfront, GA [Master Thread]
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:38 am
River in Sight

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Update - 3/31-4/2

Stayed at this property from Mar 31 to Apr 2. Showed up at the hotel at about 7:30 AM (having taken the overnight train down from DC) -- asked to just leave my bags, since it seemed far too early for checkin, however they gladly checked me in. As a Platinum, I ended up with a river-facing concierge level room with a nice balcony. The balcony would've been a lot nicer with a couple of chairs (there was certainly room for that), but it was nice just the same. The hotel was very crowded on Saturday - some type of convention was going on. By Sunday afternoon things had quieted down.

For Sunday, I was offered a free continental buffet in the restaurant; for $2 per person, we upgraded to the full buffet. It was not possible to get an entree - those would've been full price - your only choices were continental for free or full for $2. Upgrading was a wise choice, as we got far more than $2 worth of eggs, meat, etc. But there was also a very nice selection of fruit and breads that would've been free. Monday morning, we ate breakfast in the lounge.. wide selection of fresh fruit and breads (very good fruit), with oatmeal being the only hot item. When we showed up in the lounge at 7AM, it was very crowded and people were struggling to find seats. The night before, we dropped in to see what was up and found they had a couple of hot snack items along with cheese, bread, and a couple of desert items. There were also non-alcoholic beverages, with alcoholic beverages available for a charge.

Fitness center was not overly large, but adequate.. there is a pool/hottub in one corner of the atrium, and another pool outside (this was not open yet). Overall, we found the staff to be very friendly and had a pleasant stay at this hotel.

The hotel is in a very nice location.. short walk along the river to the heart of Savannah. Additionally, it has direct (free) ferry service to the convention center on Hutchinson Island, so if you were in town for a convention center there, the Marriott would be a great choice. I believe the Hyatt up the street also has direct ferry service there. Incidentally, the Westin located next door to the convention center (that is, on the island itself) seemed like an absolutely beautiful place. But, there is basically nothing on the island aside from the center, the Westin, and a golf course -- so if you are in town for leisure, seems to me like it'd be far better to stay in Savannah itself.

We would certainly stay here on a future trip to Savannah.