FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 4 Continents
View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:11 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
WARSAW to SAINT PETERSBURG (WAW-LED) on LO Embraer 170

Feeling slightly refreshed and envigorated by the frosty morning I head back to the airport. Since I already have my boarding pass I go straight to immigration, am quickly processed and through. I check the monitors to see which gates are busier to judge which of the 2 lounges available to LOT passengers will be quieter. I headed for the one right outside my gate (by gates 10 & 11).

The lounge is fairly empty with just a handful of passengers. The food on offer doesn't seem to have improved from my previous visit a couple of years ago - mostly junk food plus some mini salads in the fridge. There is a wide selection of drink. There are newspapers and magazines, and 1 computer terminal. I catch up on emails.

The flight is called some 15 minutes later than the time printed on my boarding pass. I'm not surprised - boarding 45 minutes before departure is ludicrous for a remote stand, smallish aircraft and low load. Screening is at the gate area. Liquid rules apply. Belt off but can keep shoes on.

Get handed a coloured tag so they can make sure we hop on the right bus for several bus gates all pile out in the same area and could be easy to get onto the wrong bus. The load is very light, maybe 20 or 25 passengers.

Again, thanks to careful pre-selection based on info gleaned from FT, I've got the best seat, for 2AB have easily the best legroom. This flight is longer than the LO flight I took yesterday, but the service is similar with a couple of exceptions. There is a printed menu and choice of main. However they only catered the 1 special meal request and 1 of each main, so I got to choose between nothing and whatever the 3rd business class pax didn't choose.

The weather is unfortunately cloudy the entire way so no views for me. The cloud base is fairly low so no views of St Petersburg on arrival either. We have a short taxi past a lot of Pulkovo Aviation and other domestic (I assume) planes and helicopters. We manage to get one of the 3 airbridges so that saves a walk in the cold.

The reasonably small international terminal is fairly old looking and not well laid out, with a number of corners to pass to get to immigration. Immigration is very fast and efficient and no hassle at customs either so I get to my ride into the city in next to no time.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 8, 2007 at 11:18 pm