FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 4 Continents
View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:36 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
HAMBURG to WARSAW (HAM-WAW) on LO Embraer 170

I have a short transit time. In fact it was this transit that had me worried about checking bags in. For with my itinerary if my bags failed to make the onward flight who knows when I would catch up with them again.

We arrive at a non-Schengen gate. There are no facilities inside the non-Schengen area of this terminal - just a couple of cafes, 1 small duty free shop and lots of seating. Oh yeah, and that annoyance that is unique to German airports, open air designated smoking areas that makes the whole area stink.

With only 15 minutes or so until boarding is due for my onward flight I decide to not bother with clearing immigration in search of the LH lounge. This also saves me 2 more stamps in my passport.

The inbound aircraft is late as I watch it pull up at a remote stand. They are efficiently unloaded and prepped for our flight. All up, including our own boarding time the aircraft turnaround was 25 minutes which I think is very good for international flights and a remote stand (the bussing process slows things down).

The load was moderate, but I was the only passenger in business. Plenty of room for both my carry-ons and jacket (will be needing that for arrival in Warsaw), and great service as a result.

A pre-departure drink (in plastic tumbler - later drinks of course in glasses) and moist towelette. Food was turkey with lettuce and cranberries, another meat dish, roll, cheeses and small bowl of mini easter eggs. Tea, coffee, water, apple orange or blackcurrant juice, several wines or beer, spirits.

The sun sets and in the low dusk light plus thickening cloud cover the views are hard to make out. Lots of towns and countryside. Seems quite flat. The lights of Warsaw shine brightly as we circle in to land.

We get a bus gate (par for the course in Warsaw) and taken first to the main terminal where only transit passengers are allowed off (since no immigration open here) and then to the secondary terminal for arrivals. There are 2 immigration officers for non-EU and with light load and no other arriving buses I expected to be through quickly. But Murphy's Law strikes and both officers have a problem case to deal with. Once all EU passengers are cleared I wondered if those officers would help, but no. After some 20 minutes finally it is my turn and I'm quickly through.

Still the late arrival of the flight and this delay means my ride has been waiting patiently for quite a while.