FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 4 Continents
View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:53 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
APIA to LOS ANGELES (APW-LAX) on NZ 767-300

A high proportion of passengers were continuing on to Los Angeles. So it was a slow process getting deplaned, through security and later reboarding. As at Nuku'Alofa, I hung back as long as possible. It was a beautiful night, the moon shining between scattered low clouds. A gentle breeze just barely keeping the air moving. An unidentified floral scent hanging in the air.

The security screening is required by USA and thus US rules apply here. Liquids. Belt off. Shoes off. Many passengers, particularly those from Tonga were surprised and annoyed to have their duty free confiscated.

We get a fresh crew here. I can think of far worse places to have a layover. Business class is only half full. Apparently they'd made some attempt to fix my seat during the transit but it was unsuccessful. So I switched seats.

I slept as much of the flight as I could, but that was only about half of it - thinking about too many things to sleep properly. According to the flightpath we took a very northerly routing, heading almost North to fly over Hawaii's big island before turning right towards Los Angeles, to take advantage of jetstream. I would have liked to have seen the big island, so I was disappointed that I woke up just a little too late.

The strong tailwinds allowed us to make up the previous lost time with interest, although when the captain did the spiel before landing did say they were sorry they hadn't made up as much time as forecast! I guess I missed that earlier announcement.

Breakfast was, as is usual for Air NZ and too many other airlines, served too early - about 2 1/2 hours before arrival.

Due to air traffic control we approach over Santa Barbara. There are great views through the smog, over the coast, mountains and later Hollywood including the sign of course. We land towards the sea at the same time a Singapore Airlines 747 is taking off from a southern runway.

As we taxi in to the terminal there is a wierd coincidence. I looked out the window to see what aircraft was touching down as we slowly turn into our gate and lo it is the aircraft I will be flying on in a couple of hours! Could this be a good omen for immigration queues?