FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Flying Colors" Identity Theme Going Away? Upcoming New Livery...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:59 pm
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

You know what?

As critical as I am, I actually like the look of the new livery at first glance — on the tail, anyway.

The sideways “widget” is actually pointing in the direction in which an airplane — or an aircraft of Delta Air Lines — would “take off”.

Get it?!?

Unfortunately, on one side of the tail, it points in a similar direction as the small triangle points in the Northwest Airlines logo device.

I never was crazy about the current Delta Air Lines logotype. It is a bold version of a cross between the ITC Cheltenham and New Century Schoolbook typefaces, yet with thick Bodoni-like serifs. My first impression of it was that it was very uninspiring — or, dare I say, boring — and that opinion never changed.

To me, the split burgundy-ish red Delta device is reminiscent of when Apple Computer removed its trademark rainbow colors from its device to a solid color — usually, white but sometimes blue, sometimes gray. The Apple device is clean and bold. Apple Computer never looked back. Now, when I see the old rainbow Apple, it looks dated.

Also, Apple Computer changed their logotype from a dated 1970s-style font called Motter Tektura to their own version of ITC Garamond Condensed to a crisp, modern-style typeface which one can view at www.apple.com.

I do not particularly care for the look of the new sans-serif Delta logotype, but it certainly is better than the current one, in my opinion.

It appears to me that Delta Air Lines is attempting to emulate Apple Computer, aiming for a similar revitalization that Apple Computer went through. The new look imparts to me that their market is mid- to high-end when compared to the competition — similar to the success of Apple Computer today. Remember, like Delta Air Lines, Apple Computer almost faced extinction at one time.

Overall, although I think it could use some improvement, I think it works. I’ll also speculate that I could have done the job with similar or better results at far less cost to Delta Air Lines than what this design refresh must have cost them.
Originally Posted by mike_plat
The next time I am sitting in DL first and holding a plastic cup in my hand as if I'm at a frat party, I'll think to myself, "Well, at least they have new livery, it's just that I can't see it from where I'm sitting."
I will bet that the new logo device will appear in full color on the napkin served with your drink on-board the aircraft, as well as in Sky magazine, on the in-flight entertainment, on the name tag of every flight attendant and pilot, and on your safety card in the seat pocket in front of you, amongst other places aboard the aircraft.
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Another case of premature evacuation!
You do not think that I would let that one get by me, do you?!?

You are such a troublemaker, RobertS975 — and you and I have posted to the Delta forum long enough for you to know that that is definitely not a personal attack!

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 6, 2007 at 8:13 pm