FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spring Break 2007 - Four days in Boston
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:30 am
Hartmann
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Tuesday, March 13th, 2007

Rising bright and early, we decided that we would go to the furthest destinations and get a feel for how the "T" runs. We grabbed a quick cup of coffee and headed to the Government Center T-stop.

The Green Line took us to our first destination for the day, Fenway Park. I, being a huge baseball fan, was thrilled to be in the most historic baseball field in the country. Again, we got a little turned around leaving the "T" stop but quickly realized our mistake and headed in the correct direction.

We just missed the tour and decided to wander, somehow making our way to a brewery/bar . It was the Boston Beer Works and was on our list of places to try. The bartender loaded us up with a sampler and talked to us about Boston and things we needed to see. We finished our beers and went back to Fenway for the next tour.

I must say that I was awestruck and amazed at the place and the actual history behind it. Bostonians know their baseball and how to appreciate the big things in subtle ways, such as the site of the longest homerun at Fenway being marked with a seat being painted red instead of blue. The other thing that made my jaw drop was the ticket prices... Some of the new box seats were going for $500,000 for two seats for two years. Some were more expensive.

Leaving the tour we decided our next stop would be the Copley Square area. We boarded the Green Line inbound and in a few short minutes we were at our destination (talk about efficiency). Realizing how many gems Copley held we agreed on a quick lunch and grabbed a hot dog and some water.

The Trinity Church seemed out of place in the urban environment but still beautiful. The entire square was alive. Teenagers were skateboarding, people were enjoying the warm(er) weather, and the smells of street vendors invigorated us and we headed to the Boston Public Library. Inside we were amazed and couldn't believe the detail that went into such a structure. A cool exhibit on John Adams was on display and we spent at least an hour just reading through the collection.

Back outside we looked around walked around the square, taking in the sites and sounds. We saw a few of the trolley tours and decided that our method of sightseeing was better. The time was creeping up on us and we walked back to the Copley Square stop to catch the train to our next destination, Harvard University.

Harvard Square was a little different from everywhere else that we had gone on this day as it was much more crowded and busy. We explored the area, looking at all of the shops, houses, and restaurants (we were getting a little hungry). The actual university was interesting, though none of the students we saw seemed to smile.

By this point we were tired and in the mood for another round of beer samples. We spotted John Harvard's Brew House and made our way inside. Grabbing another sampler we were disappointed in the quality of the beer and the atmosphere. The beer seemed much more bitter and the bartenders were neither friendly nor talkative (and actually a little rude). We paid our tab and agreed to find a place for dinner.

Though we had enjoyed minestrone soup the night before we thought some Italian food would hit the spot. We again made our way to the North End, taking in the nightlife as we looked for a place to eat. The weather on this night was great and we decided on a little spot that had its windows open. The food was fantastic, veal with a mushroom sauce and fresh vegetables, all at a price that was not just reasonable, it was a deal. (I can't remember the name of the place but I'm sure I will at some point and will post it up)

We again decided to take in the nightlife and walked back to the hotel slowly. Between the food, the beer, and the walking, we were bushed by the time we arrived and promptly went to bed.