FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Tailor?
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:51 pm
linesforeyes

hi everyone, this is my first post so please be receptive =(
i was excited to discover that HK/asia was such a shopping paradise because I am a skinny chinese boy who has extreme difficulty finding fitted clothes in America (even small at most retail stores are too large).
I too am interested in a quality tailor to visit.
I will be there for a few month so time is not an issue.
I have read all the posts and have come across names that i recognize from travel books that i have read.
I do have a few issues that I would like anyone out there to help me answer (one or all)
1) I am a young student going into the workplace soon, so I dont have much experience with dress clothes. I'd like to consider myself pretty fashion forward so I know how i want my clothes to fit and in which style. But the material is really what i dont know much about. So what are some popular types of materials and some characteristics of them?
2) I dont visit many tailors in america, especially ones who make bespoke clothing (i usually get alterations) so what is the ettiquette? are walk-ins the norm or appointments?
3) I know this is actually a dumb question but how fashion-aware are these tailors? I ask because i like to wear my clothes very slim and i'd feel awkward to explain that to them and they give me a funny look.
4) Lastly i know its a terrible habit but i am verrrrrrrrrry picky with my clothes and usually regret clothes purchase after the fact (i hope bespoke tailoring can solve this) so when you list some tailors can you not only keep in mind that quality (i am picky) is utmost but cost is also pretty close behind. This is because i dont want to drop like 800USD on a suit and not wear it again.
My price ranges are about (sorry i dont know the conversion rate, i think its about 8HKD to 1USD)
Dress shirts : ~70 - 90 USD
Suits: ~250-400 USD
Ties: ~40-60 USD
Of course anything lower than these ranges are welcome (as i'd like to stockpile while in HK) but i wont sacrifice quality for price

Sorry this is so long and i'm so demanding but keeping all this in mind can you guys recommend some reputable quality tailors (oo yeah who also speak english) Thanks in advanced!!