FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:35 am
soonerfanatic

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
GB / Athens restaurants

We just returned from a 6 night stay.

Regarding GB corner, we never dined there but walked through a few nights. Very luxurious and everyone dressed to impress, jackets and elegant dresses. Expect to pay at least $30 Eur per entree and easily over $50 Eur p.p. for a full dining experience. The small portions looked great but not enough for me. I found an authentic souvlaki grill in Monastriki where I could get a hefty lamb gyro for $1.50 Eur. I followed the locals here, this was the best food in all of Athens and I returned back almost every day. Also recommend Taverna Tou Psiri for an authentic experience, however be warned of the thick cigarette smoke.

I would definitely recommend the roof garden bar ^ for a drink at the minimum. Fantastic views of the Acropolis and Syntagma.

As a Platinum, we were upgraded to a 2 room suite, however the courtyard view was quickly turned down for a balcony Acropolis view room on the 6th floor. Highly recommended! You must visit the spa for a water foot massage and an herbal steam room. I am not a foo-foo guy but I must say I felt "tingly" after this experience. One of the best starwood stays by far, exemplary service.

There is a nearby wine shop named Cellier where you can find great local and Italian wines at great prices and outstanding service.