FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:02 am
WIZ

Programs: LH SEN, AY, AA, FB, HHONORS, PC
Originally Posted by mtn
Hilton Helsinki Strand used to be my favourite hotel in Helsinki. As I a Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP I used to get access to the Clubroom at the Executive floor even if my room category was not upgraded to executive level.

In February 2006 they changed their lounge access policy. Diamond VIP means nothing for Strand. They allow only guests staying in executive rooms to access the Clubroom. This is extremely annoying.

As a Diamond VIP I sometimes get upgrade, but usually they say "We are sorry, our hotel is fully booked" or "the executive floor is fully booked". They do offer a small bottle of wine, but I am not happy with it. I want access the lounge. In Hilton Hotels in another countries I can do it, but not in Strand.

There are only 31 executive rooms. Once there were executive rooms available according to their internet site but they still did not upgrade me. All I got was a "business class" room at the 6th floor without access to the lounge. I do not consider this an upgrade.

The Clubroom has always been the main reason to stay in Strand. Now I prefer Crowne Plaza (which has a lounge for executive guests) and Kämp.
I don't get it. You want to stay at the CP that has exactly the same lounge access policy as the Strand but a worse lounge? That really doesn't make too much sense. I'd understand it if the CP allowed access even if not staying on the executive floor, but they don't. And neither do most of the European Hiltons anymore FYI. According to most posts on FT as I undewrstand it and also according to personal experience, Strand does upgrade until the Exec floor is full. Maybe you insisted on a non smoking room (or at least your profile said so?) and there were only smoking exec rooms available?