Thread: Ubuntu Linux
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:07 pm
SpaceBass

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I'm trying to like it, I really am.
Fair enough

Like I said, i had to force myself to take another look... I mean I really HATED ubuntu at first, second and even third glances. Then I heard an interview with Jimmy Waugh and it prompted me to take another look.

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
I haven't been able to figure out how to manually run this.
Ok...I dont have a ubunut box in front of me, but what you want is a terminal. Click the left most menu, then go down to utilities, I think... you should see terminal or gnometerm or x-term...something similar. Then you should be able to type the command above verbatim.

One of the other Ubuntu-isms, which is familiar to OS X users, is the lack of a root user. If you need to do anything as an administrator, the system should prompt you for a password (usually yours). If you are in the terminal (which is like a dos prompt in windows) you have to preface commands with "sudo" (no quotes) ... so
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
at which point it will ask for your password...

if that really irks you, then you can enable the root user by doing:
Code:
sudo passwd root
or you can temperately become the root user with:
Code:
sudo su -
not that you should have to spend muchl, if any, time at in the terminal, but those can be useful to know...