FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ubuntu Linux
Thread: Ubuntu Linux
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:01 pm
SpaceBass

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I'll try the suggestions in the earlier post. To the above post, I have been using computers since 1980. I'm not exactly new to this stuff. In time I will figure it out, but it is still alot harder than XP or the Mac.
When you get a brand new XP box or Mac is it perfect or do you change a setting or two?
I just checked- as I'm not normally an Opera user, and I was able to install it on two machines. On one I used synaptic and search for Opera, clicked the checkbox and clicked install...done on the other I used the terminal and typed "apt-get install opera" and it downloaded and installed in about 1 minute...done
I'm not saying its the preferable way to install software...but after setting up my sources I was able to install it twice with like one click.

Don't get me wrong...I really am not trying to force anyone to use and/or like Ubunut, but I really had the same frustrations at first and I've really changed my mind. I think if you look at it as "different from" rather than "harder than" XP/OS X it helps. So you dont (typically) go to web sites and download a binary installer, you use a package manager to install a pre-compiled binary...