FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are you irritated when a f/a concentrates service/attn to certain pax?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:29 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
Being that the f/a was simply doing a good deed and recognizing a couple's milestone anniversary en route to Hawaii, I did not complain to the airline. Lodging a complaint might come across that perhaps I was jealous and petty, so I just let it go.... Anyone else has been in a similar situation?
I can't imagine how you'd phrase such a complaint. It's either "The service for some passengers was too good..." or "The FA was nice, but wasn't nice enough to me." Either way, it sounds a little silly, doesn't it? Even if it's justified.

I've certainly seen this situation many times, up in the pointy end and down the back, and in my experience it falls into three categories:

** FAs who spend too much duty time with friends who are deadheading or just flying as paying pax. I was once on an AS flight sitting in midcabin when one of our three FAs recognized a buddy sitting across the aisle from me. She rushed through her bit of the rest of the beverage service, then returned, sat on the armrest, ignored the rest of the plane and her share of the remaining service duties, and chatted her friend up until we were nearly over the landing threshold. I don't know why this bothered me as there wasn't anything I particularly wanted from her, but it did.

** FAs who flirt with pax, or respond to their flirting, and focus an undue level of attention on said pax. This happens most often on longer flights, and in the case of gay FAs + gay pax, it can be crashingly obvious. Suddenly one guy is getting long, intense conversations, food from first class and comped drinks or free wine bottles and the rest of us can't get arrested.

** Starstruck FAs who, faced with a celeb in their cabin, go nuts, speak too loudly, ask too many service questions, ask for autographs, etc. I always think this is a big disservice to everyone in the cabin, because most of the celebs I have known, neurotic though they may be, basically just want to be left alone -- and the rest of us would like our peanut packet please.