FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using a Costco card as valid ID
View Single Post
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:38 pm
dgwright99

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I ran into a similar problem when I moved to Texas. I fly every week, so I asked them before surrendering my Oklahoma driver's license how I could get a picture ID immediately. I was told to get a Texas state ID, not a driver's license but a legal government ID. This ID still takes aboutt 30 days, then come in and surrender my OK driver's license. I just went back to Oklahoma on a business trip and told them I had lost my DL and got a duplicate. Then went to Texas and surrendered my older (but still valid) Oklahoma driver's license. They were right, it took 30 days. I know the Oklahoma driver's license isn't valid anymore, but it hasn't expired on the face so I keep it for a back up. I am constantly amazed at the rental car agents and hotel clerks that have to be prompted to return my DL. This happens on a regular basis, I have to be very vigilant to make sure my DL has been returned.
When we moved to CA, my wife was not entitled to an SSN (H4 visa), and getting a DL was a lot of hassle. Half way though the (very long) process they gave her a paper permit (no photo); instaed of taking her WA license, they just punched a hole in it, and let her keep it.

In WA, we got our DLs there and then - fill out the forms, have your passport checked for valid visa, pass the test, have your picture taken, get your DL; why can't other states be that efficient ?