FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:54 am
jerseyfinn

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
London Marble Arch a category 7 ??

I realize that a larger thread exists on the new MR devaluation, but I'm looking for reaction from other London Marriott travelers about what's up with Marriott's strategy here.

Mind you, the Marble Arch is one of my favorite London properties because of the combination of location to the center, price/value, and friendly accomodating staff. But I would never in my wildest dreams ever call the Marble Arch a category 7 hotel -- it simply doesn't come close.

This move to make Marble Arch a category 7 cheapens the exlcusivity of the category 7 product designation and is totally misleading to the central London market. Designating Chancery Court a category 7 a year ago was a no brainer -- it truely is a distinctive property.

Now I have noticed a significant price creep at Marble Arch as compared to this time last year. Last year, I could find winter room weekend rates of £109 and advance purchase week day rates of £120. This year, the best weekend rate is £135 and £179 weekday. So what I assume was a ( significant ) price increase was actually positioning Marble Arch for the category change.

Is this a reflection of a corporate rethink about central London, or are there new things in store for Marble Arch? I do know that a new foods manager was due in with new plans for the Mediterano restaurant.

Looks as if Marriott is trying to chase the value visitor out to Maida Vale and Regents Park.

Barry