FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:31 am
duanes42

Programs: BMI, DL, UA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by cmvinsk
Anyone been to either of these restaurants in Bangkok lately? Would you recommend either or one over the other? Thanks.
I am not a big seafood eater, but I have been to both and prefer Somboon, as do my seafood loving Thai and Asian friends, however the Seafood Market probably has more choices if you are looking for something truly unusual). Price wise I believe Somboon is very reasonable, its been to long since I have been to seafood market so I can't comment on it. I would avoid other seafood places unless you are sure before ordering that their prices are reasonable, some places are extremely overpriced.

Somboon is at the corner of Surawong (spelled sometimes Surawongse but the "se" is silent - some taxi drivers still know it/pronounce it as "SurEEwong") Road and Narithiwat Road - if you are on Silom near Patpong or the Saladaeng BTS (Silom Subway Station), walk away from Rama IV down Silom (towards the river) and turn right at Narithiwat road next junction is the restaurant (Narithiwat Road ends at Surawong). If taking the BTS, get off at Chong Nongsi station and walk on Narithiwat away from Sathorn - walk towards Silom (you will see TG Office at corner of Narithiwat and Silom) and then next block is Surawong and the restaurant. I believe they have three other locations, 1 somewhere on one of the Chulalongkorn streets not as convenient to reach by mass transit, but there is a nice street stand selling Satay opposite it, only open about 6pm until sold out (I mean the Satay), maybe 9pm or earlier (I went for the Satay, but noticed the restaurant while there and had a quick bite). Ok, I just found their website, http://www.somboonseafood.com/index_en.html, the Chula location is at Chula 8 and has a more Chinese style to it (according to their website). The other 2 locations I have not been to so I can't comment on them.

Definitely order the stir fried Morning Glory at Somboon (no seafood in this dish). I am not a big veggie eater, but I love this dish, if we go 3-4 persons we easily finish off the large size, if a bigger group we usually order 2 large plates.

I do recommend reservations for Somboon, you can still walk in no problem, but there are times there is a line if you don't have a reservation.