FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RealDLInsider -- Looking For Strategic Thinking
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:40 am
RSSrsvp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
So here’s the issue and major questions:

If you were in charge of one of the major airline loyalty programs in our country, and were tasked with creating a vision for what airlines should do longer term to strike a balance between award redemption and the earning of miles – what would you do? Something to consider – is this really about opening up more award burn, or is there a problem in how many miles we give away on the earn side? Secondly, is how we give away miles today on flights done appropriately or is it over-awarding lower fares and under-awarding higher fares? And – is a mileage based program where the airlines should stay, or should we consider launching a revenue based accrual and rewards program that gives out a similar number of miles but allocates them better to customers based on revenue?
Hi Jeff,
I also wish to thank you for your active presence here on the board. The mere fact that you are taking your valuable time to post here tells us something about the current mindset at DL. Your efforts on our behalf is sincerely appreciated by all. ^

Echoing what the others have posted, any plan to give us less than 100% MQM's will result in a large number of us defecting. Look at the history of Save Skymiles and the end result. Napoleon made the mistake of invading Russia and so did Hitler. The one lesson that you can take away from this is that history repeats. Please don't make the same mistake that Rob Borden did as it will cost DL business.

I have my own business and when I purchase my tickets I always look for the lowest fares. Most companies force their employees to do the same. If you wish to reward someone for a higher priced fare class that is ok. However do not punish the majority of us that will not follow that path.

There has always been an issue on the availability of B/E seat inventory. It is disgraceful that you have non-revs able to board while Medallions with mega miles in their accounts are stuck in Y. Day of departure upgrades at the gate for international flights must be properly addressed.

There has to be a fairer way to obtain Skysaver awards. One idea that you may wish to pursue is to offer greater availability for award seats when using MQM's type miles in our accounts as opposed to Skymiles that are earned elsewhere. @:-)

In addition, you should offer us one way awards also.

Finally, some time ago there was a two week experiment where there were no restrictions on award availability. If you can reveal the outcome of that test without getting into trouble I would be curious as to the results.