FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Inn Rosslyn At Key Bridge (Master Thread)
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:08 pm
jetsetter

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Holiday Inn Rosslyn At Key Bridge (Master Thread)

Holiday Inn Rosslyn At Key Bridge
1900 N Fort Myer Drive
Arlington, VA 22209
Hotel Tel: (703) 807-2000
Hotel Fax: (703) 522-8864
(placeholder will insert the direct web site link)

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in February 2007 as a Royal Ambasssador Platinum Priority club member. The nightly rate was approximately $100 through a group booking.

The hotel is about a block away from the Rosslyn metro station which serves the blue and orange lines. You can take a blue line train directly from DCA to Rosslyn. You can also take the Metro Bus 5A to and from IAD to Rosslyn metro station for $3.00 which is a real bargain. A taxi from IAD would run $45 or so.

The check in agent was pleasant, and recognized that I was a Platinum member. Initially was given a room on the 12th floor, and asked if they had any suites. The agent typed and clicked away on the computer, and went in to the back office for a moment, but was unable to find a sweet. If I had pressed it, I think they may have been able to find a suite but I didn't really need one so I didn't ask anymore about it. They did give me a room on the 16th floor which is the executive level.

The 1 king bed room was standard for the most part. Though it did have a recliner and balcony. I had a friend staying on the 12th floor, and the recliner seemed a bit better on the 16th floor. But other than that, there was no appreciable difference with the executive level rooms.

Priority Club members (even base members) receive a voucher good for complimentary breakfast in the restaurant on the 17th floor. This was one of the highlights of the hotel, it was a bountiful buffett breakfast including eggs, sausage, bacon, biskits, etc. Surely an upgrade over a standard continental breakfast and the venue was a cut above the rest in terms of location and view.

This breakfast benefit is only provided during the week, and upon asking, I was issued a coupon to use on the weekend at the 1st floor cafe/cafeteria. I did not end up eating at this location, but some friends ate at the place and said it was basically a self service cafeteria place and they did not especially recommend it.

Again the main restaurant and bar is on the 17th floor. As a PC member you also receive one voucher for 20% off dinner at this restaurant. I had dinner and drinks and even with the discount the price was about $35 which I thought was a bit high for the portion of food I got. I was hungry afterwards and ordered pizza. For example, one of the appetizers "crab puffs" for $10.75 turned out to be 3-4 mini crabcakes and thats it. Also the bar had no draft beer only bottles. Also people should be aware that while smoking is banned in restaurants in DC itself, people can smoke in VA bars. I had my dinner in the bar and the service was very slow and not fitting with the prices charged. For instance, my bread was brought out last after the rest of my meal. In reading other reviews they were mixed, and people we spoke with were not impressed with the restaurant.

The hotel has free WIFI service, and it was terribly slow. I ran a speed test, and will insert the figures. The speed of the service was almost on par with dial up. One nice thing is that they have free local phone calls including calls to area code 202. However, the phone system was old, and there was static on the line.

In the voicemail system you can press * to access "guest services" and then there is a hidden option 5 to request a wake up call.

The shower water pressure was also abismal, and the water would sometimes turn off to a trickle and then regain a modest amount of pressure.

The room also had a refrigerator.

One other thing the hotel has a very simple lay out which was nice. No atriums, and you won't get lost, etc.

In conclusion..

Pros:
*The weekday breakfast in the restaurant on 17th floor;
*Close to metro;
*The room rate was good; and
*Overall the staff was friendly.

Cons (how could the hotel improve):
*Faster WIFI connection speed;
*Offer bottled water in the rooms;
*Offer free drink coupons especially if a suite upgrade is not available. Better recognition of elite PC guests;
*Adjust the menu portions and prices in the restaurant, and improve service delivery; and
*Improve the shower water pressure, and get rid of any water saving showers.

I would stay at this hotel again at the same rate level, but I would not pay much more. I would give it a solid 3 out of 5 stars. They could improve by fixing the items noted above. Hotel is as noted also very convenient to IAD and DCA.