FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Could Improve First Class by ____.
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:42 am
SamuelS

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Yes, Yes, Yes! This was my immediate thought when I read this thread.

It wouldn't cost them anything--they have to have an F/A up there anyway. So, let's make it someone who's been trained and is interested in the FC product and then the "certified" FC F/A works that position.

All the other suggestions--valid as they are--would diminish in their importance if each flight the FC pax experienced a warm, friendly, hospitable, service-oriented F/A each and every time who used their name, thanked them for their business, welcomed them on board, circulated often, etc.

A boy can dream.

I'd love to hear from GalleyWench on this idea.
This will never happen, the AFA would not allow it. Selecting certain F/A's for F qualification will result in the seniority list being circumnavigated. The only way that this could be done would be for a dedicated Purser position to be created (rather than just a 'lead F/A'), and for that position to be applied for and awarded on merit as an internal promotion.

UA has a Purser programme - but it only applies to widebody fleet. On all narrowbodies - it's the lead F/A on the day who usually works First.

To be honest though - I don't think you need to segregate F qualifed F/A's, particularly on domestic. None of the other majors do it, including UA, and the product doesn't universally stink on those carriers. I used to work for BA and BA does not segregrate except for First on Longhaul 3/4 cabin flights. Anyone can work Club World, or Club Europe.

I've worked on a similar project to upgrade the front end experience in a management capacity at another carrier. IMHO, the key is to:
  • Upgrade the in-flight product, including meal and wine/beverage selections, with a focus on quality meals which are rotated regularly!
  • Upgrade the cabin environment, with refurbished seating, and branded soft articles like quality pillows, blankets, etc
  • Create some "on the ground" benefits like access to the Club lounges for full fare paid F, pre-boarding, extra baggage allowance etc.
  • Create a strong brand identity for the domestic F product. BA does this very well with it's Club Europe, Club World and First brands - and each brand has it's own distinct benefits and a strong market identity and recognition associated with it
  • Finally - train the team! Ground agents and CSA's should be trained to ensure better "on the ground recognition". Res agents should be trained to understand the benefits of the F product, and be able to offer a value proposition to customers - thereby increasing F revenue for US. FA's can do a 2 day workshop which focuses on the brand differentiators, the overall customer proposition, and the key elements / service standards for delivery of the product - and an emphasis on how important their role is in maintaining the overall proposition and product.

I've written and developed service manuals for F/A's, and I usually find that most F/A's actually WANT to provide a good service. The reason it is often inconsistent or the service is poor can usually be attributabed to not providing the right tools for the job, which not only lead to difficulties in physically delivering a good service, but also low morale. A lack of training and development also means many F/A's simply don't know what the company standards are, hence inconsistency.

Once the product is defined, it's very easy to set some key standards, such as "Pre-departure beverage should be served within X minutes of customer being seated. Offer to take jacket and take drink order for up to 4 customers at a time", or "Initial cocktail service should commence within X minutes of the seat belt sign being switched off after departure". It's not rocket science, but putting these standards in place, and following through with an easy to use intuitive service manual, combined with a training workshop - and you'll see wonders.

In my experience - if you follow these steps - you really don't need to segregate F/A's into two groups as to who can and can't work up front.

US - I'd be happy to come down to Tempe and give you a hand with your F Service overhaul and crew training

Last edited by SamuelS; Feb 25, 2007 at 11:48 am Reason: spelling!