FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - In Flightr Luggage Bins -- Has it improved since the 1 bag plus 1 personal item rule
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:44 pm
Dick Ginkowski

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Although the 1+1 in many instances was just a refinement of the status quo, I've seen a slight bit of improvement.

This is important for me (as is Elite preboarding) because I travel with $30k+ noncheckable camera/electronics gear carefully stowed in a camera backpack that usually goes up and a laptop/camera attache that goes under the seat. I did have some gear stolen at ORD last year so I am pretty cautious about leaving it out of my sight and reach.

Still there are:
1. Too many bin hogs who try to stuff Godzilla rollerboards in the bin or else on a full flight can't be bothered with putting small stuff under the seat so that someone else can use the bin.
2. Blankets and pillows inconveniently stowed in the bins above bulkhead seats. They usually wind up being removed and relocated, a factor which can delay boarding.

I am sympathetic about musical instruments because I understand the difficulty with checking them (especially since I've seen NW people throw and slam checked bags on many occasions). I'm a little less so with strollers, some of which are huge these days, although most are gate checked.

I also see a lot more courtesy and efficiency with TSA screeners at most airports. Plus, at MKE, there's a ticket counter supervisor -- an Asian woman whose name escapes me -- who is simply fantastic about getting boarding passes out of the automated kiosks, checked luggage tagged and ready for TSA inspection and sometimes even helps run interference with the carryon screening. She provides Proactive customer service with a capital P, something rapidly becoming extinct at most airlines. I only wish all of NW's staff here was as efficient and helpful.