FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Parker to Become a One-Day "Prison Preferred" Member
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:45 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I'm amazed that people are lining up to give this guy a pass that none of his employees would ever get in that same situation.
I know of no airline that would take disciplinary action against employees for DUI convictions occuring more than a decade ago, and I also know of no airline that would fire an employee for an off-duty DUI conviction. Obviously, the current conviction would be relevant to one's employment -- especially if the employee held a safety-sensitive position such as a pilot. Reasonable steps would certainly be warranted to make sure the individual did not have an ongoing problem with alcohol.

As I've noted before, many of our nations top leaders have DUI arrests in their past -- including both the President and Vice President. While many seem to question the political judgment of these men these days, I know of no serious critics who suggest they lack the sobriety necessary to lead the country.

In Parker's case, the evidence is overwhelming that alcohol abuse has not impeded his ability to lead US Airways. The track record of leadership that he has compiled since becoming CEO of America West in 2001 is astonishing. He has repeatedly made business judgments that have been both innovative and wildly successful. Certainly no airline in America -- or the world, for that matter -- has advanced as far as near-bankrupt America West in that time period. His shareholders, including me, have made mind-boggling returns in that period by betting on Parker's leadership (my initial investment is up 1500 percent!).

None of this excuses his improper behavior by driving drunk, and he is certainly paying a heavy price for this mistake. But those "calling for his head" have motivations far different from the folks who have a real stake in the future success and prosperity of the airline.