FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:04 am
Morrissey

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Punki
If we were major corporation and he got on the phone to HR, they would have had to tell him that the city was sold out, so he would just have to stay home.

Fortunately, we are a small corporation, made up of folks who really like each other, listen to, and talk to one another, and always try to act in the best interest of all. That works far better than HR actions. ^
I really don't think you get it here. A major corporation has policies and procedures in place for scenarios such as this. I can pull out my employee handbook and it explains the process for this sort of situation and what my company will do about it. I think it's safe to assume that you don't have an employee handbook. The fact that you are not only this gentleman's manager but also the owner of the company puts you in an even more precarious situation (both legally AND financially). You need to understand that your employees are not your "best friends" and should not be treated as such. To say that we would "talk to one another" a very naive solution. Laws such as these exist precisely because many subordinates are afraid to raise these issues with their superiors for fear of retaliation.

What would you have done if this young man had said, "I'm sorry, but I can't go along with what you are suggesting. It is unfair and inappropriate of you to impose such a condition for me to go on this trip. You will have to give me my own room." Do you really think you wouldn't have an adverse reaction to such a statement ("I can't believe he said that to me. I thought he was my friend. I guess he's not a team player")? However good you think your intentions are (and I'm not suggesting they were anything but), we are talking about someone's career and advancement opportunities here (of which YOU are in control). Keep in mind that "friends" sue each other all the time. @:-)