FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:12 pm
RAPC

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Not a full trip report, but edited highlights for now at least.

Just hitting the last night of our 6 night stay at the Westin Cancun. I can't find a bad word to say about the place as the whole stay has been fantastic.

I'm only a gold, but was given a great upgrade for the stay. We were offered to split our stay between a suite and an ocean view room as they didn't have availability for all 6 nights in the suite. I thought it was pretty good of them to offer this, but we declined and stuck with the ocean view room as we would be out on various trips.

The room is pretty large, but with a fantastic view of the sea, overlooking the main pool and bar areas. There is wireless internet available throughout the hotel and rooms at a pretty reasonable rate of $31 pesos / $3 for 3 hours.

All facilities at the hotel are open with the exception of the spa which doesn't open for another month or so. In the mean time guests can use the Le Meridien Spa, with the hotel providing free transport.

The restaurants offer a pretty good range, with a bountiful breakfast buffet each morning with some really good staff. I'd recommend the Sea & Stones restaurant to anyone staying at the hotel. This features a hot stone on which guests get to cook their own meat to go with a selection of sauces, mexican beans and a baked potato. It's certainly unusual, but well worth trying.

The staff throughout the hotel have been friendly, genuine and keen to help. What is also noticeable is that the concierges actually give you good information rather than sell you tours. (There is a separate stand for that if you wish) We've saved a fair bit of cash on a couple of tours that were easily done by ourselves through some good advice.

Also, a few people have mentioned people selling timeshares here. We haven't seen or heard anyone doing anything like that at the hotel this week. It does seem to be a problem in the main tourist areas in Cancun itself though.

Overall a big ^ to the hotel. I'd recommend it as an option to anyone who is in town from our experience of it.