FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:14 pm
ESPECIALROB

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

In my business travels, I find that quite a few companies require their rank and file employees who travel to share hotel rooms on business trips. Not only have I met people who work in start-ups, non-profits, and other types of smaller businesses who I suspect could be more subject to such a policy, but have encountered workers from well-known firms headquartered on Fifth Avenue in NYC subject to such an edict.

I'm very much a loner, and would find it extremely uncomfortable to be assigned a roommate who is a co-worker, or sometimes complete stranger, to satisfy a corporate policy. A few years ago, I was offered a very good job with a non-profit, but since their policy dictated sharing a hotel room at annual conferences with one (or more) co-workers, I declined.

Several years ago, a friend of mine was thrilled to land a position with a prestigious organization that required heavy travel. Such thrill was short-lived as she was unaware they required room sharing, which she called "the ultimate intrusion", and could endure this only for a couple years and quit. Needless to say, her situation taught me to ask a future employer about their travel policies before accepting the job.

I'm curious to know of others' experience in this dilemma. If your employer has this policy, is there any option (other than quitting, or requesting a position that does not involve travel) if you don't want to share a room? If you comply and share rooms, how does it work out? Ever been assigned a complete stranger or disliked co-worker as your roommate?