FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:37 pm
robyng
In memoriam

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
A great many thanks to everyone for your very insightful input. For my part, I'll say that I've come to the following tentative conclusions after reading your responses and doing some additional research on the JR West and JR Central websites. Notably, jib71 put his finger pretty much on the dot of the hotels we're considering in Osaka and Kyoto.

We'll probably want to take the Haruka KIX-Shin Osaka, then backtrack to Osaka Station. That is, unless you'd advise (based on the time it takes to backtrack, hassle of changing trains, distance of walk from Osaka Stn. to RC vs. cost of taxi from Shin Osaka to RC) just taking a taxi from Shin Osaka to the Ritz.

For Osaka-Kyoto, a Shinkansen is probably overkill. Only reasons to do it would be for space in the Green Car and foreshadowing the full-blown Nozomi treatment to Tokyo four days later. So for that, we'll probably take a JR train or other private train.

Don't think we'll need to use JR trains or private trains to get around Kyoto. We're young and we love to walk everywhere. The Kyoto subway and a few taxis should take care of us. That said, if we buy a pass, we might as well put it to use.

Then it's JR (or other private rail?) to Nara and back for a day. Scheduling of the day trip might be dictated by whether we buy a JR pass (such as a 4-day pass) that covers the Haruka, Osaka-Kyoto, and Kyoto-Nara-vv. That will in turn be driven by price. I've read in another thead in the Japan forum that buying the pass can be cheaper than a simple KIX Haruka ticket, so it might make sense.

After all that, it's the Nozomi to Tokyo. I expect our hotel will be around the Imperial Palace area, or maybe in Ginza, so we'd likely just take a taxi from Shin-Tokyo to the hotel. Finally, N'Ex out to Narita.

That's a lot of trains. Good thing I enjoy trains as much as planes. Good trains, that is, like they have in Japan.

Thanks again to all. Arigato!
jib71 is correct. I am somewhat (but not totally) price insensitive. I recalled the cab as costing about 100 dollars US (but couldn't remember exactly) - so the estimate of 12,000 yen sounds about right. I think it was maybe $20-30 more than the trains we looked at - plus the transfers - but even if it was $50 more - it was simply the easiest way to get us and our luggage from Osaka to Kyoto.

We arrived in Shin Osaka from Tokyo. It isn't a long cab ride to the RC from there. Unless I was a traveler on a limited budget - I'd take the cab. The main (old) station in Osaka is just a few blocks walk from the Ritz Carlton. Only issue would be whether you can handle your luggage easily. If I were taking the train from Osaka to Kyoto - I'd use the old train station (even if the trains take a little longer - the 2 cities aren't that far apart).

If you're really into nightlife and restaurants of a more contemporary variety - perhaps you could stay in Osaka and take day trips to Kyoto? I realize that's not the way people usually do things - but most of the things to do in Kyoto that I liked were daytime things. There seemed to be a lot of "gentlemen's clubs" in Kyoto - not my cup of tea - and also some very traditional dining venues (we tried one for lunch - and one for dinner). Overall - I liked the night scene in Osaka better (but you have to keep in mind that I am not much of a night scene/club person anywhere - although I do love exploring restaurants).

If you're staying at the RC - I can recommend the tempura restaurant there highly (didn't try the other restaurants - but they all looked pretty good).

One more thing about Kyoto. Even if you are young and love to walk - the important sights are pretty spread out - and some areas are a bit hilly. And the neighborhoods between a fair number of sights aren't all that interesting (think smaller low rise somewhat contemporary city). And there are a lot of things to see - even if you only want to see 25% of them. So I'd get a map and organize my sightseeing at least a couple of days in advance so you don't find yourself criss-crossing the city a half dozen times. Robyn