FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:19 am
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've just re-read mileposts 48-60 in this thread (having read the entire very helpful thread in the past), yet I still have one question. We are two pax, likely with a total of three medium-sized bags and one larger bag. Will reserving a Green Car on the Nozomi Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo improve the baggage situation at all? I'm thinking that because of fewer pax in the carriage, we'll have at least marginally better chances of storing our luggage.

Here's the background. We stayed in Tokyo for five days in December 2005. We took the Nozomi down to Kyoto and back on Christmas Day, largely for purposes of taking the train with the added benefit of having a beautiful destination at the end. We'll be going back this year in December (I'm planning early because we're on FF tix). The plan, one many have recommended, is to fly into KIX and spend two nights in Osaka. Take the train to Kyoto and stay there four nights, with a side-trip to Nara one day. Then take the Nozomi to Tokyo for two nights before flying out of NRT. Last year, on the Nozomi we had just cameras and what-not for walking around during the day. This year, we'll have all of our baggage with us for the entire eight days in Japan. I know the N'Ex has adequate baggage-storage facilities, and based on other threads I expect the Kansai trains do too (please correct me if I'm wrong). I know from this thread that we'll have access to overhead racks for at-most-medium-sized bags and some modest storage at the end of the carriage for larger bags. Will upgrading to the Green Car improve the baggage situation at all? I'm thinking of doing it anyway, but wondering if the extra baggage would be a good rationalization, you know?

Relatedly, should we take the Nozomi from Osaka to Kyoto? Or would we be better off buying a Kansai-area JR rail pass for four days or so that would cover our KIX-Express, Osaka-Kyoto, and Kyoto-Nara side trip? Can we reserve a Green Car on those trains? Am I correct that, because of the non-Nozomi rule for JR passes, we'd be on a Hikari for Osaka-Kyoto?

A great many thanks to all who have posted so much valuable information in this thread (and others). I appreciate your expertise very much.