FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New 10-trip Metrocard for JFK AirTrain: $25
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:27 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Can one $10-$15 Metro Card be used for two persons on the Air Train to Jamaica for instance? Please excuse my ignorance - never used them before. Or can only 1 person use them on each trip?

I need to make about 6 trips to/from Hilton to 145W, 57th St which I understand is near Carnegie Hall. Looking at a map it looks like only a couple of minutes walk - which I hope is right.

If so do not think we need too much pubic transport as we'll take a cab to LGA from Hilton which I gather from another post generally runs about $30 at midday Saturday?

Appreciate if any local can tune me in on this.
A single "pay-per-ride" Metrocard can be used by more than one person. There is an excellent primer on how Metrocard works in the Flyer Talk "Frequent Flyer Wiki" on using public transportation to get from the airports to Manhattan. I highly recommend that article to you.

You will not need a Metrocard to board the AirTrain at JfK; you will need one to pass through the turnstiles after you arrive at Jamaica Station, and Metrocard vending machines (which accept credit and debit cards, in addition to US currency and coin) are available on both sides of the turnstiles at Jamaica.

To minimize the amount you spend on Metrocard, estimate how much value you will need, multiply that amount by .833 (5/6), and round the result UP to the nearest 5 cents. For example, if you need $26 in Metrocard value, you would purchase a single pay-per-ride Metrocard at Jamaica station for $21.70. With the 20% bonus given to Metrocard purchases of $10 or more, $21.70 will give you a Metrocard valued at $26.04. If you don't plan on taking any public transportation once you get to Manhattan, then you will only need $14 of Metrocard value, which can be purchased for $11.70. If you underestimate how much value you need, you can always refill your card at any Metrocard vending machine or full-service subway booth, but only refills of $10 or more come with the 20% bonus. And yes, you can easily walk from the Hilton to West 57th Street. Enjoy your visit!

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 4, 2007 at 8:07 am