FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DOING THE MATH on 1/31/07's RE-CATEGORIZATION
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:09 pm
Sydfly

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
If you do the math you will have to leave SPG!

I did my math as well and decided that it's time to leave Starwood for good. Here is how they compare against some other major hotel chains if you base your calculations on a base member account and think about using points during a high season time (which is what I always do):

I now have to spend 12.500 US$ to get 25.000 SPG points (2 for 1$ or 3 for Plat member) for one free night in Hawaii at the Princeville Resort as a base member and if compare this to the other hotel chains Starwood is the biggest looser.

If I spend 12.500 US$ with IC Hotels group I earn 125.000 points (10 for 1$, or 15 for Plat member) which is worth 4x as many nights at an equally nice luxury hotel around the world (think Bora Bora, Bali etc).

If I spend 12.500 US$ with Hilton I earn 187.000 points (15 for 1$ or 17.5 as a Gold) enough for almost 5 free nights at one of their best hotels around the world.

If I spend 12.500 US$ with Hyatt I earn 62.500 points (5 for 1$ or 5.75 as a Plat) which is enough for 3.5 free nights at one of their top hotels (PH Sydney, Tokyo etc) even considering their recent program devaluation.

Are they thinking that we are stupid? Why in the world would anyone ever stay at an SPG hotel again if they have a choice?? This was a very bad move, SPG, very bad move

I know that you might say Hilton awards are harder to get. That's true but then again I get almost 5x as many nights out of the same spending. And with Hyatt e.g. it's not as hard to get an award room.

In the end everyone of you has to make their own decision, but for me it makes absolutely no sense to stay at SPG hotels ever again. Maybe that's what they wanted seeing that I'm dropping to base level this month anyway but I'd urge you to do your own maths and think in which program you get the best value. And if more people stop staying at SPG properties they might reconsider their bad move and make the program better soon. The only reason for them to change it thoug is if they don't get the same revenue from us, their loyal customers.