FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading to Vista?
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:02 am
murphy

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by sany2
Is anyone here thinking of upgrading to Vista in the near future (for business or home)?

I'm thinking I will replace my windows servers and computers in late 2008, at which time I will switch to Vista/ Office 2007.

Does vista have any specifically travel friendly features? I need some new laptops this fall, and am trying to determine between XP/Vista/Leopard

I will ask the IT department to investigate, but I'm asking for a travel based opinion only (not integrability, use with existing software, etc.)

Thanks
If it's implemented well, Sideshow should be very travel friendly. Also, they've apparently very much improved the ACPI implementation. This means Vista should improve battery life by using smarter CPU throttling, and sleep should actually work correctly. In XP it's fundamentally broken.

On the other hand, the new interface is going to require some serious horsepower to run. That's going to hurt battery life. Overall, I'd guess that Vista with the downgraded interface will be a very good mobile OS. By fall, SP1 should be out. Assuming we don't run into any showstoppers, I don't see any reason to buy an XP notebook in the fall.

As far as Leopard goes, who knows? Apple is playing their cards very close to the vest. It certainly won't be any worse than Vista - outside sideshow, there's not much on Vista that isn't already on Tiger. In my opinion, Vista closes the enormous gap between Tiger and XP. Whether Apple leaps ahead again with Leopard remains to be seen. The only introduction, at last year's dev conference, was rather underwhelming. I'd be shocked if they didn't have some cool stuff up their sleeves, though.