FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice: LAX-PER in TG prem.econ. or SQ exec.econ.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:53 pm
IAHflyer

Need advice: LAX-PER in TG prem.econ. or SQ exec.econ.

I need your advice on an upcoming trip IAH-PER.

My employer won't pay for C but will pay for a premium economy product, so I'm currently down to two main options:

1. SQ
LAX-SIN in Exec. Econ.
SIN-PER in Econ.

2. TG
LAX-BKK in Prem. Econ.
BKK-PER in Econ.

On both SQ and TG I could go through EWR or JFK respectively but I'm leaning towards an LAX connection as I'm travelling in February and the weather should be less of a factor in LAX...

Both SQ and TG fly A345 on the long-haul segment with 2-3-2 seating, and from seatguru:
-SQ's seat pitch/width: 37"/20"
-TG's seat pitch/width: 42"/18"
(how can the TG seat be narrower with the same 2-3-2 on the same aircraft? All armrest?)

On the "short haul" to PER SQ use a 772 (w/ 3-3-3 seating) and TG use an A333 (w/ 2-4-2), and from seatguru:
-SQ's seat pitch/width: 32"/17.5"
-TG's seat pitch/width: 32"/17"

Both airlines offer decent connections in SIN/BKK and both should give me UA miles which is where I'll be crediting the flights. (currently UA non-P)

So which way would you go?

Some factors I'm thinking might come into play:
  • The flight to/from PER is a little shorter on SQ (~1.5hrs), so less time in Y.
  • How is the SQ vs. TG check in facilities in LAX and PER?
  • How is SIN vs. BKK as transfer airports (no *G status)
  • Difference in inflight service, food, AVOD? (both on long- and short haul segments)
  • On SQ's A345 you are one of 117 exec. econ. on a 2-class aircraft, vs. on TG you are on of 64 in prem. econ. on a 3-class aircraft. Any difference?