FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules on Transporting Wine out of EZE to the USA
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:48 am
Gaucho100K
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by donnyb
I don't know where they got that amt from either. We flew back from Italy last May, arrived at EWR with 8 bottles and the calculated amount was something like 17 cents per bottle. Needless to say, they didn't bother.

When we returned from EZE last November we decided not to bring any wine back, due to the TSA security hassles, etc. At the EZE airport x-ray we were specifically asked if we had any wine in our checked luggage. I didn't think to ask why since we didn't have any.
A question on your x-ray experience... I assume you mean when your carry-ons were x-rayed...? I ask this because your checked luggage gets x-rayed after the airline desk checks you in, or did you get some sort of secondary screening for your checked bags that involved an xray machine?

Ive heard the question of wine in checked bags by some of the security folks that grill you before you get to the check-in desk, but in my experience this step never includes an x-raying of the bags, if at all there is a hand inspection.

On this issue of wine in baggage, there are continuos report of folks being harrassed by these private security folks that dont work for the airlines, each with their own interpretation of what one is allowed to put in your suitcase. Dont let these guys bully you, you are allowed wine in your suitcase, just ask to speak with a supervisor of the airline.