FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:17 am
PUCCI GALORE
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Can somebody advise me if BA currently has the same number of Cabin Crew on the Upper Deck to take care of 20 Passengers, as they had 10 years ago when there were up to 32 Passengers in the Old Craddle Seats?
Yes there are two. I know that it sounds a lot - extrravagant even but the geography of a 747 rather dictates this. We always had two even when the UD was WT (on an aside I loved the 747 Classic when it was Club World - and it was so small it was only one cabin crew member.

Again I am giving you my opinion - CW is the most lucrative cabin on the aircraft and I think that we should provide a high level of service to that cabin. However we have to be extremely cautious as some of you know - unless you are sitting there we are very cautious of who comes up to that deck. We has the Nairobi incident and then 9/11 and if we only had one person upstairs we have rest periods to cover and we need to monitor every movement. The galley is at the rear of the cabin rather than the front and we are the last barrier before the flight deck door.

I amreading and digesting some of the posts here and whilst I think that some of the comments are more true of European attitudes rather than British - there is at least a grain of truth. Of course everything must move forwards and clearly we have to remain profitable - I as a shareholder applaud that. However, I read here about the expectations that most people seem to have here and you expect a full service from British Airways. Full service can only be provided with proper crewing.

I will say this. Read what Loobtastic has to say. Her story is by no means untypical. Multply that attitude and what do you get. A work force that is prepared to go this route. I am not and will not say whether I agree with this or not as I can see both sides to the story. What I think is a shame is that it ever got here in the first place. When I joined BA from BCAL we thought that we had landed on our feet - so did the Dan Air crowd. What BA offered in comparison with BCAL was a doddle to do. That has changed - some things and people have now long gone and the world has moved on. I am always very leery when people tell me that we are fighting for our "rights". Our "rights" are enshrined in employment and other law. Our terms and conditions are not law unless contract is being breached. Agan my opinion only.

Finally let me comment on the sickness. If you are not well you should not fly. Crew are constatnly changing climates, time zones, different water, food, air and disrputed sleep. It does make you open for everything going. If you deal with sickness with an attitude that the person is pulling a "sickie" every time that they call sick and act as though you think that they are lying then once again you breed resentment. Calling into a company - any company over sickness is a very personal thing. Some people refuse to admit to sickness and carry on. Others sneeze twice and stay off for a week. You all know the sort. All I will say is that I have a letter from my Doctor with which no company can argue - if the Doctor - any Doctor says that you cannot work - that's it - the employer cannot gainsay it. Now this is an occupational hazard - but until someone comes up with a fool proof method of deciding when one is or is not fit for work when the illness is of short duration (a virus say, not real influenza when getting out of bed is not an possibility). If anyone i sick more than anyone feels is reaonable - then they should be referred to a Company Doctor for a proper assessment and that I think is absolutely proper.