FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:15 am
bealine

I'm on the dole at the moment, and there aren't many workshy people around the job centre at all (they're all on incapacity these days...). It's almost impossible to have a 'good' living on the dole in the way it was, say, during the Thatcher years.

I'm trying not to regard your comments as a personal affront, and I won't say more in case I end up applying to / working with the firm you work at
Good luck, typical, in your quest for suitable work!

I spent three lonely, miserable periods out of work in the Thatcher years (which is why I will never, ever again vote "Con"-servative as long as one member of Thatcher's government still has a pulse!) so I fully sympathise with you!

I know, just as you do, that there are in reality very, very few "work-shy" people out there - sure, there is the odd sponger who milks the system, but, just like those who throw "sickies" at BA, they are the ones who know how to work the system and would still manage it even if they were dumped stark bo77ock naked in the Sahara desert!

Just so as you critics know, just because the "average" sickness was 22 days, that doesn't mean all of the crew throw "sickies". Many of them take no sick days at all, but someone with a broken leg from the ski slopes might take 90 days! Statiticians loking at these two staff would say they had an average of 45 days sick!

God! I feel positively guilty after having four weeks off after a heart-attack eighteen months ago!