FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:56 am
abfab

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Insurance cover on being downgraded/cancelled

Originally Posted by chrishow
We are booked on BA034 - LHR to CPT on Wednesday 31st and obviously nervous with the current BA/Union negotiations.

Worst case scenario and there is a strike which affects my travel, do you know how BA or Amex Platinum card insurance would deal with the situation?

I’ve MFU’d from WT+ to CW – in the event of disruption, changing my flight or booking me onto another carrier, do you think it is likely that I could end up being downgraded? Would I be classed differently as they are MFU seats?
As Smirnoff mentioned above, you should be covered by Amex Insurance for the non-refundable costs of your holiday should your outbound flight be delayed beyond 12 hours for strike reasons.

An interesting situation though is if you are offered an alternative flight by BA (within 12 hours) in a downgraded class.

My feeling is that if you refused this downgraded alternate flight, and cancelled your holiday, the insurance company could classify this as 'Disinclination to travel' and therefore refuse to cover your claim for your non-refundable hotel costs.

They state in the policy (for certain other items in their cover) that should you need to change your flight home, that they will only provide an economy ticket.

It might be worth ringing Amex Insurance to double check the situation before you leave, so that you know exactly what your options are at the airport should the worst happen.